Dec. 20, 2012, 7:31 a.m. EST How to assess your risk capacity
cara mempertimbangkan dan memutuskan INVESTASI, apalgai yang BERISIKO TINGGIAs explained in my last column , the rule of thumb that relies on time horizon and risk tolerance to make investment decisions is flawed. The simple math of "100 minus your age equals your stock allocation" creates more danger than most investors realize — often until it is too late. The true test of whether investment decisions are right for you is whether you can secure your financial well being no matter how the investment market performs. To make smart investment strategy decisions, you need to understand your “financial risk capacity.” Financial risk capacity is a holistic, objective evaluation of many factors that make up your ability to sustain the risk of investment losses. For the sake of your financial well being, take an in depth look at the following 10 factors that define financial risk capacity:
1. How important is the goal?SEMAKIN BESAR TUJUAN KEUANGAN, MISALNYA BESARNYA KREDIT RUMAH, SEBAIKNYA TIDAK MENGGUNAKAN CICILAN UTANG SEBAGAI INVESTASI, APALAGI BERISIKO TINGGI The more important the goal, the less risk should be taken with the money earmarked for that goal. Think about it: Most people won't bet the rent money. In general, the more you care about a goal, the less risk you should take to achieve it.
2. What's the relationship between your paycheck and the stock market?
KALO PENGHASILAN MASEH NAEK TURUN, MIRIP FLUKTUASI BURSA SAHAM, SEBAIKNYA CARI JENIS INVESTASI BERISIKO RENDAH DAN ANDALKAN PEKERJAAN SEBAGAI ASET PENTINGIf your paycheck goes up and down in perfect harmony with the stock market, pare back the stocks in your investment strategy. Take diversification to a new level, and treat your career as an asset class.
3. How secure is your job?
KALO PEKERJAAN ANDA BAGUS DALAM JANGKA PANJANG, ITU SYARAT UTAMA BERISIKO TINGGIThe less chance of being out of work, the greater your investment risk capacity. A tenured professor with a steady paycheck and lifetime pension falls into this category. On the other hand, a commissioned sales person in a feast or famine cyclical industry is better served with a lower risk investment strategy.
4. How strong are your financial safety nets?KALO DANA TUNAI, TABUNGAN, ASURANSI JIWA/KESEHATAN/RUMAH/KENDARAAN, DAN PINJAMAN DALAM KONDISI BURUK, SEBAIKNYA HINDARI INVESTASI BERISIKO TINGGI The foundation of a secure financial house is built with cash, savings, and a full suite of insurance — health, life, disability, home, auto, and liability. Investors without a strong foundation are wise to batten down the financial hatches before heading into risky investment strategies, or choose a safer path altogether.
5. How much debt do you owe?JANGAN BERINVESTASI SAMA SEKALI JIKA UTANG MENUMPUK If you have credit cards that you can't pay off every month, or if your combined debt payments total more than one third of your income, forget about aggressive investing. You are better off building safety nets and lightening the debt load.
6. What are the options if there's not enough?KALO KEUANGAN SEDANG BOKE/MINIM, SEBAIKNYA HINDARI BERINVESTASI RISIKO TINGGI If you are short on money for a goal, and also out of ways to make up the shortfall, don't take chances with what you have saved. There's a tendency to amp up investment risk if you feel you won't have enough. Remember that the stock market is one of the least reliable ways to play "catch up" financially.
7. What's your financial and risk IQ?
SEMAKIN CERDAS PENGETAHUAN KEUANGAN, MAKA SEMAKIN MUDAH AMBIL KEPUTUSAN INVES SESUAI DENGAN PROFIL RISIKONYAThe more knowledgeable you are about investments and risk, the better equipped you are to make informed decisions that serve your best interests. If you're investing with a learners' permit, drive safely.
8. Are you naturally risk averse or thrill seeking?
KALO SEORANG SUKA BERISIKO TINGGI, JANGAN TERLALU DITURUTI KECENDERUNGAN ITU TERUTAMA SAAT BERINVESTASI DENGAN RISIKO RENDAH SUDAH CUKUP MEMENUHI KEBUTUHANTune into your bias: Do you see opportunity or danger? Thrill seekers must resist the urge to pile on 'exciting' high risk investments when goals can be met with lower risk, albeit boring strategies. Likewise, scared-y cats may be more capable of surviving risks than they perceive.
9. What are your future financial commitments?
KALO BANYAK UTANG, INVES KECIL AJATake the long view, and see what lies ahead financially. If an aging parent or boomerang child may need financial support, or a balloon payment is due on the mortgage, you may have less capacity for investment risk.
10. What is your time horizon?
KALO BUTUH CEPAT, MAKA INVES KECIL AJA :)This classic tenant does have a place in investment decision making. In general, and everything else being equal, the sooner you need the money, the less investment risk you should take. However, the opposite is not always true, and caution is in order: The financial security of a young investor is not a sure thing with a high risk investment strategy, especially over a long time horizon.